What are cookies?
A cookie is a file containing an identifier (a string of letters and numbers) that is sent by a web server to a web browser and is stored by the browser. The identifier is then sent back to the server each time the browser requests a page from the server.
Cookies may be either “persistent” cookies or “session” cookies: a persistent cookie will be stored by a web browser and will remain valid until its set expiry date, unless deleted by the user before the expiry date; a session cookie, on the other hand, will expire at the end of the user session, when the web browser is closed.
Cookies do not typically contain any information that personally identifies a user, but personal information that we store about you may be linked to the information stored in and obtained from cookies.
To help us display advertisements of services, content that we think may be relevant to you or of interest to you; and
To help us to analyse the use and performance of our website and services through the use of third party tools such as Google Analytics.
Rasch Leong values your privacy and cares about the way in which your personal information is treated.
- what personal information we collect about you;
- how we collect your personal information;
- how we use your personal information;
- how you can access/amend your personal information;
- how long we hold personal information;
- who you can contact for further information; and
- additional terms that apply to some residents of the European Economic Area.
- “we” means Rasch Leong or any partnership, entity or undertaking authorised to provide you with our products or services;
- “you” means you, the person visiting our website, providing us with personal information or purchasing or using our products or services;
- “products and services” means all products and services we provide and anything else we do for you, including your use of our website; and
- “website” means our website accessible at raschleong.co.nz.
Expand the headings below to find the answers to questions about your privacy.
What personal information do we collect about you?
We may collect personal information from you when you visit our website, contact us, request information from us, submit a form on our website, engage our legal or other services, or when you engage with on or more of our staff and clients.
The personal information that we process may include:
- Your full name (including name prefix or title)
- The company you work for and your title or position
- Your relationship to a person
- Your contact details, such as your postal address, email address and phone number(s)
- Financial or payment-related information
- Technical information, such as information from your visits to our website or applications or in relation to materials and communications we send to you electronically (this could include things like email delivery status and open rates)
- Information you provide for the purpose of attending meetings, which may include dietary or access requirements
- Identification and background information provided by you or collected as part of our customer due diligence
- Any other information relating to you which you may provide to us, or that may be provided to us on your behalf, or that might be generated by us in the course of providing services to you.
How we obtain your personal information
- We collect information from you as part of our customer due diligence and business acceptance processes, and as necessary in the course of providing legal services
- We collect your personal information while monitoring our technology tools and services, including our website, and email communications sent to and from Rasch Leong
- We gather and record information about you when you provide it to us, or interact with us directly, for instance engaging with our staff or submitting a form on our website
- We may collect or receive information about you from other sources, for example publicly available contact information
How we use your personal information
Rasch Leong collects and processes personal information about you in a number of ways, including through your use of our website and in the provision of services by us. We use that information:
- To verify your identity
- To provide and improve this website, including auditing and monitoring its use
- To provide and improve our services to you and to our clients, including working with you directly to improve our services, or addressing any particular matters you raise with us about our services
- To promote and market our services
- To manage and administer our relationship with you and our clients, including organising meetings with you or invoicing and payment communications
- To fulfil our legal, regulatory and risk management obligations, including any applicable law, court order, other judicial process, or the requirements of a regulator, and as otherwise required or permitted by law.
- For the purposes of recruitment
- Any other specific purpose which you will be notified of at the time that your personal information is collected
Use of Rasch Leong website
Our email address, phone number and fax number are available on our website, and we may collect your personal information when you make contact with us.
Marketing and other emails
We use personal information to understand how you engage with the emails and other materials, such as legal publications, that we send to you. This includes tracking personally identifiable email opens, clicks on the links to the information that we include in email and whether and how you visit our website after you click on that link (both immediately and in the future).
If you no longer wish to receive marketing communications from us, you may unsubscribe at any time by emailing us here.
Legal and other services
We collect, use and retain personal information in the course of our provision of services we provide to our clients. We process personal information provided to us by our clients, or on our clients’ behalf, to deliver our services. This information may be shared with trusted third parties to an extent that is reasonably necessary to conduct the provided service.
To verify your identity and conduct other customer due diligence we may also process identification and background information as part of business acceptance processes, financial processes and administrative functions.
Please also see ‘Who we share your personal information with’ and ‘Which countries we transfer your personal information to’ below.
On what basis we use your personal information
We use your personal information on the following bases:
To perform a contract, such as engaging with an individual to provide legal or other services
For the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims or proceedings
To comply with legal and regulatory obligations
For legitimate business purposes as described in the ‘How we use your personal information’ section above.
How long we keep your personal information
We will keep your personal information for as long as necessary to achieve the purpose for which it was collected.
If we no longer require your personal information, we will either destroy the information or anonymise it so it cannot be personally attributed to you.
Who we share your personal information with
We may share your personal information with certain trusted third parties within the scope defined in contractual arrangements in place with them, including:
- Professional advisers to and auditors of Rasch Leong
- Suppliers to whom we outsource certain administrative, IT or other support services
- Parties we engage in the course of the services we provide, with the prior consent of our clients, such as barristers, local counsel and case management services
We may also share personal information with regulatory authorities, courts, tribunals, government agencies and law enforcement agencies where necessary, or as described in the ‘How we use your personal information’ section above.
We may, on rare occasions, be required to disclose personal information in compliance with legal or regulatory requirements. On these occasions, we will endeavour to notify you before your personal information is disclosed; however in some cases we may be legally restricted from doing so.
If you engage with Rasch Leong on online platforms, applications or websites other than the Rasch Leong website, such as social media websites, you may review their privacy policies for details about how they use your personal information.
We do not sell or rent personal information.
Additional terms apply to some residents of the European Economic Area (EEA).
If you are based in the EEA, you may have the following rights, in addition to those described about, in relation to the personal information we hold about you:
Right to erasure
You can request the deletion, removal or anonymisation of your personal information, or withdraw your consent for our use of your personal information.
In the instance that you are entitled to the deletion, removal or anonymisation of your personal information, or to withdraw your consent for the use of your personal information, we will comply with your request. In this instance, if we have shared your personal information with third parties we will take reasonable steps to notify them of your request or withdrawal of consent. Where it is both reasonably possible and lawful for us to do so, we will tell you who we have shared your information with if you request this information.
Right to restrict processing
In certain circumstances, such as if you have reason to believe that the personal information being processed is inaccurate, you can ask us to restrict the processing of your personal information.
In the instance that you are entitled to the restricted processing of your personal information, we will comply with your request. In this instance, if we have shared your personal information with third parties we will take reasonable steps to notify them of your request to restrict processing. Where it is both reasonably possible and lawful for us to do so, we will tell you who we have shared your information with if you request this information.
Right to data portability
In some circumstances, you have the right to ask us for your personal information in a commonly-used, machine-readable format so that you may reuse it elsewhere. In these circumstances, you also have the right to ask us to transfer your information, in this format, to a third party of your choice.
Right to object
In certain cases, you have the right to object to our processing of your personal data, including with regards to profiling. You have the right to object at further processing of your personal data in so far as such data have been collected for direct marketing purposes.
Right to withdraw consent
If we rely on your consent as our legal basis for processing your personal information, you have the right to withdraw that consent at any time.
Right to lodge a complaint with the supervisory authority
You have the right to file complaints with the applicable data protection authority on our processing of your personal data.
If you have a concern about the way we handle your personal information, or any of our privacy practices, you have the right to report this complaint to the relevant Supervisory Authority in the EEA.
Privacy Contact Person
38 Onepu Road,
Kilbirnie, Wellington 6022
PO Box 14 304 Kilbirnie